November 5, 2014 4:00 am
1. Bling – Sparkling golden tones are on trend this season, but few homeowners have the financial means to deck out their homes with mirrors, sconces and other decorative items made of genuine gold. Fortunately, these are available in finishes that mimic the look of real gold, with price tags that won’t break the bank.
2. Trendy tile – Instead of spending a fortune on hardwood flooring or natural stone, consider installing wood- or stone-look porcelain tiles that eliminate concerns for water damage, warping or wear and tear.
3. Natural elements – Feature walls made of natural materials like grass cloth and bark can add a unique quality to any room, but can also be damaged easily in high-traffic areas. Get the look for less by selecting a vinyl option that simulates the natural material.
4. Stylish wall treatments –Forget expensive faux paint finishes that give the illusion of depth. Using some simple painting tools, multi-tone paint and a material such as joint compound, you can inexpensively create a stucco surface that adds genuine texture you can see and feel.
5. Touchable textiles – Contemporary designers rely on opulent textiles like leather, suede and fur to create a high-end atmosphere. Enjoy the same look without the expense by opting for synthetic versions, which prove more practical for everyday wear and tear.
Achieving a trendy, lavish style for your home doesn't have to cost a fortune, and often, imitation materials will deliver comparable results that stand up better to the test of time.
Published with permission from RISMedia.